Rooster's Haven

Equine, Pet & People Services

August 17, 2010

She is huge!  She is about 14'3 hands now and 3 years old!  When she sees me coming out of the house to feed she runs to her stall and  'puts' herself in her stall - no kidding- closes herself in when she knows it's feeding time.  I've never seen anything like it.  I will have to video tape it.

Also, like many young horses, she will attempt to hold 'stuff' in her mouth, and then run with it if she gets scared.  Remembering to let go of it after she's ran half way around the acre.  She cracks me up she's so funny.  (this has happened with cones, paper, and of course the American flag attached to pole - now THAT was a funny video op)

February 12, 2009 - This is a blog of our little Mustang - "SUNDAY'S LAST CALL"  It starts at the bottom and you'll have to read upwards to see her story!

February 2, 2009

She's OKAY!  She's doing well.  Her right back leg is swollen near the pastern but no heat and she's not limping.  Here's a pic of her with Toastie and with Zippy (her two buddies)

WOW not a good morning 1/27/09 - by Katrina Lomax

I went out to feed this find one less head popping out to greet me.  There she was, little "Sunday" just laying very still.  I had to check her tummy to see if she was breathing.  Her eyes were closed.

I screamed! and she looked up and I ran inside to get Ron.  Both of us were in her stall evaluating what to do.  She had dug herself a hole, like one to sleep in and well she must have lodged herself under when she tried to get up.  The plywood was chewed away at that point and she was trapped under the steel part of the stall, so we couldn't take off any panels, there wasn't any to take off.

There we were, unable to push or pull.  We tried.  I on one side pushing her butt and back toward Ron who had her hooves.  No budging.  What made it worse was that she tried to get up and banged her left eye and side of her head on the wall.  It was horrible to look at.

We called two neighbors fast...Terry and Chris.  We didn't know how long she was down.  It could have been 2 hours or it could have been half the night.  She was shaking all over. 

How we got her out :  Terry and Chris pushed her butt and back leveraging on the bars of the panel....Ron pulled her rear hooves first then her fronts.  Then I pulled the back hooves and at the same time he pulled and they pushed and she was through.  She got up but very shaky and we called the vet.  We decided to wait to see how she was.  I let her roam the corral.  Gave her warm bran mash and water.  She ate and drank.  Peed and poo'd.  I gave her 2cc of banamine to help calm her down.  She's in pain but okay.
She layed down most of the day in the sun.  I kneeled down next to her praying to Jesus to help her.

Tonight she ate some more mash and hay and drank.  She's normal breathing and walking around alot better.  I'll continue to monitor her.  I gave her elecrolites too.  Poor thing.  She is the best horse I've had.  She trusts us with all her heart.

I had to share this emotional event.  I'll keep monitoring her for the next 72 hours.  My main concern is shock, and head traumma.  I'll keep you posted


The Competition Aug 15th, Adoption Aug 16th

We arrived at the Livestock Center on Thursday afternoon (Aug. 14th).  Sunday seemed to easily settle into her pipe stall next to the other yearlings.  She seems to almost recognise another colt with the same markings near her stall.  We fed her, gave her water and let her get used to the many noises and people.  I attended a trainers meeting.

Friday morning we were at the Livestock Center at 7am.  Fed her and got her ready for the day's competition.  This was to be outside.  The temps were getting hot, and at the time of our competition were over 100 degrees.  Sunday did extremely well - she seemed tired and hot, so trotting was not so easy after we practiced a few times.  We entered the arena, walked over poles, and to "L" shaped poles where we had to back thru the "L".  Then over more poles.  Stopped and I picked up all 4 hooves.  Then loaded her into the trailer, lead out of the trailer....over to the poles that were made into a box.  1 and 3/4 turn to the right and exit the box, walked around cones and stopped to look at the judges.  Matt Sheridan was one of the judges.

Sunday came in at number 15 out of 31 yearlings.  I was happy with that considering she only learned how to trailer load this past week!  Her highest scores were picking up her hooves and loading /unloading in the trailer.

On Sat. Aug. 16th the silent auction was held.  Only about 6 horses found homes.  The rest, well, were going back to the BLM.  Many of the trainers felt they did not want to let the horses go back with all the training they had done.  So many of the trainers took their yealings home that day.  We did the same.  She was too good of a filly to go back to the herd.  There are some other reasons that contributed to lack of turn out for the adoption.  Most likely the venue - we were outside and if we could have gone inside the arena more folks could have seen us.  Also the timing.  Sat. at 12pm...most folks arrived after 12pm.  Indeed there were people still looking on Sunday, but since the trainers already did paperwork for their yearlings, they were no longer listed as available.  We took Sunday home on Sunday evening.  It was sad that she did not get adopted but we did have some prospective people looking at her.  She can only increase her skills now.  We plan on finding her a home - the BLM allows us to keep her and if a new owner wants her they will need to get approved by the BLM and the transfer paperwork is only $25.  That's what we hope for!  I'll continue posting pictures of her, and hope that someone will fall in love with her as we have.


Here is the article from the Reno Gazette - Journal, Front page

Neighborhood section Sunday, August 10 2008

Time has arrived for trailer training

The final 3 days before the competition (August 12):

Wow, Sunday's Last Call is awesome!  She knows how to load into the trailer, walk over the bridge, jog around cones and over poles!  She halters, picks up her feet to be picked.  This accomplished in only 10 days! I am so happy and proud of her.  She will be one awesome yearling for someone.  I do hope she does great at the show!  We take her down to the Reno Livestock Center on Thursday.  Here she is below with Ron, practicing loading.  We took turns and must have loaded and unloaded her about 50 times.



Add your main content here - text, photos, videos, addons, whatever you want!

ONLY 5 MORE DAYS until competition lets get over the bridge

August 9, 2008


only 5 more days to practice.  Well, I'll be posting pics soon.  Little Sunday is a doll.  She leads easily now.  I have advanced her over the cavaletti (poles).  I started with one pole and when she was able to go over the pole without running or getting antsy (about 10 times both ways) I added a pole.  She is now able to go over 4 at a time.  We are working on going over a bridge now (pallet painted white that we use in our horse shows).  She will put a hoof on it but hasn't gotten up on it.

She got a bath on Thursday, Aug. 7.  Didn't care for the water too much.  I was able to give her a 'sponge' bath.  I put fly spray on her legs since we had a lot of flies. 

The vet came Friday to do her coggins test and health certificate for the show next week (I'll bring her down to the Reno Livestock Center on Thursday August 14th) and so she'll need the certificate.  She acted like a PRO!  The vet palpated her and listened to her heart and touched her all over.  She stood perfectly still and let him.  Then he drew blood for the coggins test from her neck and she didn't even flinch.  Even he was impressed.  She is not spooky and very trusting of me and others.  So good.  I will really miss her.

LOOK FOR US IN THE RENO GAZETTE JOURNAL SUNDAY AUGUST 10th, on the front page of the Neighborhood Section!!!

Extreme Mustang Makeover 007 - Yearling Edition - Halter Training

Update July 27, 2008

Well, little Sunday is on her way - We enclosed her in between 2 pipe panels that made a small triangle (would be considered a chute).  Because I am limited in time now - I have to work fast.  In the chute we touched her all over including the legs.  There was very little resistance which surprised me - however considering she has been stalled by our well seasoned 26 year old Zippy, and the fact that we consistantly go into her stall to clean and feed, she let us touch her without fear.  We were able to get the halter on her (both her pretty turquoise yearling halter and her pretty purple rope halter with lead).  We did this about 10 times, on and off, on and off and gave her release (small 5 minute breaks where we backed away and let her lick and chew(digest) her thoughts.  Now she is approachable and actually comes toward you.  She does this even if we have items in your hand and we can approach her and put the halter on her.  She is beginning to learn to lead.  This will be what we work on next. 

She does not know what a treat is.  We rewarded her by giving her the 'release'.  She is exceptionally mild mannered, not spooky, gentile and there isn't a mean bone in her.  I really adore these qualities in a Mustang.  She will make a nice mare.

Take a look at the paragraphs below - You can read when I first got her.  Because of my work schedule in San Jose, CA, I have been unable to come up every weekend and work with her - however I will be in Reno now August 2nd until the show (August 15) to work with her everyday and I have no doubt we will be able to compete in the Wild Horse and Burro Show on August 15th with the other trainers.  Since she has come pretty far in only a few hours of work - with the biggest challenge now over with....I believe in little Sunday's Last Call!  See more pics in the photo gallery.


Month of June 2008

Well, it's June 27th already - and well, I've been working my full time management job at Cisco Systems in San Jose, CA and working my second job - pet sitting & overnights, and Ron's been working as a Farrier in both Reno and CA - so "Sunday's Last Call" could be farther along by now - like some of the others that were adoped mid May - but she isn't.  Lets be realistic folks - it takes work and time and sometimes "life" comes at you hard.  Some of the other volunteer trainers don't have full time jobs - that are out of state either!  To top it off with these darn fires:  CALIFORNIA IS BURING the air quality is so bad we can't even see the hills that are 4 miles away.  I'm especially affected by it.  Both Ron and I have had bad colds the last two weeks -plus our Big Black Chevy Silverado "Johnny Cash" we use for work and hauling horses, was hit while parked and we had that in the shop getting a tire, body work - etc etc.  So I'll be taking a mini vacation the week of 4th of July and hope to be working with "Sunday" and I'll have some more updated pictures for you on the photo gallery page.  Right now she's cute as a button, and will take food from your hands.  She's not as afraid as she was a month ago.

So stay tuned and keep checking back.  I plan on getting this little one adopted to a good home at the Wild Horse and Burro Expo in Reno on August 15th.  So she will be halter broke and ready to go to a good home.  Please email and let me know if you are interested in her or would like to come see her in Reno - and even work with her if you'd like.  These Mustangs are amazing. 

Week One - May 18, 2008

Last Call for ?  - by Katrina 

May 16th - I got out of work and drove up with Rudy on Friday night (from San Jose).  We arrived at Reno at 1:30am and were all excited and up Saturday morning with Ron re-arranging panels and securing fences, filling up water buckets and placing salt licks to be sure the "baby" will have the safest environment and reduce the stress of being in a new environment.  We hooked up the trailer and removed the center panels.  Duct taped and took the utmost care in placing 'cushioning' under the duct tape where the panel hinges were and covered any protruding metal thing so that it would be like a real 'stock' trailer and so the baby won't bang and injure itself.

Later Saturday- Ron, Rudy and I left Lemmon Valley at 2pm, got gas and headed to the BLM Palomino Valley holding facility.  It's roughly 45 miles away, and takes about 50 minutes with lights and traffic.  We arrived at 3:08pm and the gates were closed, nobody in sight.  I tried to call the number they gave me on my cell but there is no cell phone coverage there(AT& T).  We honked and waited a few minutes, then turned the trailer around and went back a few miles until we had phone coverage.  I called Mustang Heritage Foundation and the gal said that they did not know when we were coming (or they didn't get the paperwork with the times on it) and that they tried to call me (mis-communication ).  I turned the trailer around again and made a last attempt to go to get the number for BLM.  I had them dispatch the facility manager.  Then went back again and patiently waited in the cell phone coverage area we found, until 4:40pm.  Nothing.  It was 100 degrees out, we were tired and were let down as we started back to the house.  We figured food and drinking may help - got some groceries, went home, BBQ'd, drank, and fed our animals dinner.  I cried to Ron that maybe it wasn't meant to be. So that was that.

Later that evening still feeling down - the facility manager called the house.  I guess they didn't get the paperwork that I was coming in the afternoon.  Everyone else had picked up their Mustang and I was the last one left.  I stated my frustration.  They thought I was around locally in Reno (but I informed him that I commute from the Bay Area on weekends, and we had to get the stall situated Sat. morning - so Friday pickup or any earlier time was impossible).  He asked if I wanted to come Sunday.  I hesitated but agreed to be out there by 10am.  It really is all about saving a horse - not getting upset at inconvenience!

Sunday - we arrive at 10am, the Facility Manager is there and so is the Wrangler.  We wait for the Brand Inspector and then we back the trailer up to the 'chute' for loading.  The pen contains one baby, and I can see it thru the holes in the paneling.  Looks to be a sorrel color...but I'm not sure.  I get up on the 'planking' of the final chute with my camera.  The Wrangler states "It's a girl", and then he lifts various gates until she finds her way running thru the maze to the final gate before our trailer.  Ron helps and shuts the gate behind her, and now she is in a very small area where the wrangler cuts off her number tag from above her.  She is nervous and wiggles trying to turn around.  He is able to cut it off when she steadies for a few seconds.  Her number is 1866 and he gives it to Ron to hold.  Then he opens the final gate and she jumps into the trailer.  She seems nervous and almost like a "spitfire" as she had come down the chutes, but remains very quiet in the trailer now.   We go into the office and I sign the final paperwork for her.  She is sorrel with a flaxen mane and tail and a long 'blaze' down her face.  I think she's cute and so does Rudy and Ron.  However we both look at each other and think - is she really a spitfire?  We drive back thinking of names for her.

We unload around lunch time - driving the trailer into our back acre set up, and backing up to her pen.  All the other horses are locked up in their stalls/pens.  She unloads quickly but carefully and remains in the back of the pen to watch us close the door and gate and pull away from the pen.  I brought her some hay and she starts to eat it slowly.  She is next to Heartbreaker and he reaches over the panel to say hello...very interested.  She touches noses and she feels safe.  I'm happy she is calm.

In the afternoon we let the other horses out to view her - Valentina seems very interested in her as does Iroquois.  Simi runs and thrusts herself into the panel with ears back ready to bite, but then backs away and leaves her alone.  The Yearling eats her hay and drinks her water and watches us and shies away from the other horses at her side, after touching noses with some.  We take pictures, call the neighbors over.  Everyone views the baby.  She is very interested in us, but but stays in the back half of the stall watching us cautiously while eating. 

By evening, we've established that Valentina causes us concern because she is now running into the panel bending it inward, with ears back trying to get to her.  What a fickle horse? So we monitor this behavior and put Valentina away along with the others...and then the baby is able to eat her hay and drink in peace.

Monday, May 19th - 6am -after a quiet night, we see her in the morning, eating, laying down and seeming comfortable.  We secured her panels again, and made sure that she is only accessible on one side to Hearbreaker (whom she seems to get along with fine) and along the front gate, the other horses can see her, touch her only if she comes to them.  She is protected on the other two sides. (no one can get on the left side or in the back).  She seems fine and Ron and I leave for the Bay Area. Vance will be throwing her hay and watering while we are gone as he usually does for us with the other horses. 

Go to the "photo gallery" to view the first pictures of her.

She is named:  "Sunday's Last Call"  appropriately since we got her on Sunday, and she was the last Yearling for pick up!

Extreme Mustang Makeover Yearling Edition

NEWS: May 13, 2008
For the animal lovers:  see pictures of the yearling coming home May 18th,  look at the photo gallery tab on this website for Extreme Yearling Makeover
I just got off the phone with the Mustang Heritage Foundation and BLM
I've been accepted into the program for the Extreme Mustang Makover Yearling Program:


In keeping with the mission of the Foundation, the Mission: 007 (denoting the birth year of these yearlings) has been created to place 200 Nevada Mustang yearlings in adoptive homes through a yearling training event. The goal of the event is to promote adoption through showcasing Mustangs’ value and trainability through competition.


Recent Photos

Recent Forum Posts

Newest Members